Interim Concussion Position Statement – Effective 12 July 2019.
Sports Australia issued an updated Concussion in Sport Australia Position Statement earlier this year.
The key message is
“if in doubt, sit them out”.
The Australian Carriage Driving Society has adopted this key message.
The following interim arrangements have been put in place whilst a detailed position statement is prepared.
· If a person on a carriage (driver or groom) is suspected of having a concussion, first aid principles still apply.
· If there is a medical practitioner (doctor or paramedic) on site whose attendance has been arranged by the organising committee of the activity, the person with suspected concussion should be reviewed by the medical practitioner to determine if they have suffered concussion.
· If no medical practitioner is on-site, the person is assumed to have suffered concussion.
· If the person is assessed by the medical practitioner to have concussion or is deemed to have concussion, the person is immediately stood down from all activities and will stay stood down for 7 days (14 days if 18 years and under) regardless of whether they receive medical clearance to return to sport.
· The person remains stood down until they receive medical clearance to return to sport.
· ACDS Incident reporting mechanism is to be used and notification is immediate.